Get the feeling again!

Jukebox (Cylinder Record Player)

Posted by:

by Kenner

Let’s play the Jukebox! Although the idea of a musical player for kids is not unique, Kenner released this decidedly unique musical toy in 1971. This music machine came with over 30 minutes of music — ready to play. Although additional cylinder records were available, there were 14 hits of children’s favorites included in this starter, but complete, outfit.

Look at these songs!
Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head ♦ Let It Be ♦ Whistle While You Work ♦ On Top Of Old Smokey (Rock Style) ♦ Row, Row, Row Your Boat (Rock Style) ♦ Nick Nack, Paddy Whack ♦ Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious ♦ Let The Sunshine In ♦ Do Re Mi ♦ Puff, The Magic Dragon ♦ Mexican Mulberry Bush (Tijuana Style) ♦ Old MacDonald Had A Farm (Rock Style) ♦ Whistle While You Work ♦ Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (Rock Style)

The box pictured a group of children having a great time dancing to the music on a colorful background. It also hyped the advantages of no scratched records, volume control, speed control, battery-operated, sapphire needle and portable.

Hardly the lineup exclusively for the 3-8 year old crowd, it seems Kenner attempted to include something for everyone. “Let It Be”, “Let The Sunshine In” and “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head” were big hits of the day for teens and above — not to mention the hip 6-year-olds.

After the initial setup, playing the Kenner Jukebox was a snap for the kids through easy random selection: just press, select and play! Powered by 4 “D” batteries, this solid-state music machine touted big sound via new, specially developed, unbreakable cylinder records!

Customization was allowed by arranging the records in your desired order and then simply rearranging the record labels accordingly. A spare “drive band” was included. Seems Kenner truly aimed to please with this one. According to Popular Mechanics, December 1971, this toy retailed for about $15.50 at department stores.

Kenner Jukebox
Popular Mechanics, Dec 1971

Most attractive, and appropriately colored for the 1970s, this blue, orange, pink and lime-green machine looked amazingly similar to a full-sized jukebox. It’s no wonder children experienced hours of fun with this wonderful little musical device with real big sound in a compact, portable package.

Related articles
  • No related posts found.

Comments

1. Leianne Spiteri  May 19, 2018

To this day it will always be the toy I remember as a child. I was born in 1970, I can not hear those songs and not think about my favorite toy. My brother one day decided he needed to know how it worked and he took it apart and it never worked again. I remind him of this transgression as often as possible :). Is there anyway to purchase one of these?

2. Matt  June 15, 2015

When I was VERY little, I had one of these. I was born in 1968, so I must have been 2 to 3 years old. I have wonderful memories of it. Some of my earliest memories. Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head will always make me think of this toy. All of the songs on my Jukebox worked. If you have one, let me know. I would buy one.

• Matt  June 15, 2015

Also… If I recall correctly, my Jukebox looked more like the one on the box. If I am remembering right, it had a dark blue cylinder in it, and not a light blue one.

• Matt  June 15, 2015

Also also… The outer casing was rounded like the one on the box.

3. Sharon  December 28, 2014

Is there some where to purchase this? It was one of my favorite toys and most people don’t remember ot when I try to explain it to them.

• Jeff Winkler  December 30, 2014

Email me at kennerjukebox@mailinator.com. I have one along with a reel, both in boxes, that I could part.

• Crystal  November 28, 2018

Hello, do you still have your keener jukebox? And would you sell it?

• Marla  April 27, 2015

OMG! That was my absolute favorite, too. I would play “Let it Be” over and over, again. Drove my sisters nuts! LOL! I would love to get my hands on one too.

4. Nate Hill  February 9, 2014

I had this jukebox. It worked perfectly. 40 years later, I still associate Let It Be with listening to it on my Juke Box! I never bought other cylinders for mine tho.

5. Jeanette  August 27, 2013

I had this toy back in the early 70s, and it was a big disappointment. My cousin and I each received one for Christmas, and neither one worked right. Our parents exchanged them, but the replacements were just as horrible. The only song we ever got to play on mine was “Puff, the Magic Dragon.” I don’t think anything ever played on my cousin’s. Buyer beware!

6. Holajay  October 29, 2011

Interested in jkebox, if you haven’t sold it yet. Please send pictures, once I see it, I will gladly make offer. Thank you!

7. Steve  October 10, 2011

I have one….It is in its orginal box with foam packing and instructions….this this is as new as it gets….I also have 2 extra drums that have stories on them….also in orginal box…..please make an offer…..I can send pictures….you will not find one in better condition…..this one I have tested and is in MINT CONDITION!!

• Holajay  October 29, 2011

Hello Steve…I am interested in jukebox, if you haven’t sold it yet. Please send pictures, once I see it, I will gladly make offer. Thank you!

• Michele  December 14, 2014

Steve-Do you still have the Kenner JukeBox toy for sale? Very interested, as I have been looking for a couple years now. If you’ve sold it, could you please give me the contact info to the buyer?
      Thank you!

• Rosario bautista  June 11, 2016

I’m interested on the jukebox with the story telling pls reply thank you.

8. tina  August 5, 2011

I don’t have the player but I have a cylinder-record in the original box. The song list is:
    Heigh Ho
    Big Rock Candy Mountain
    Three Little Kittens
    Hickory Dickory Dock
    I’m a little teapot
    Mary Had a Little Lamb
    Three Blind Mice
    Teddy Bear Picnic

Let me know if your interested

• steve  September 10, 2011

Hi, I would be interested in the record you have.
      Thanks

• bohus  November 12, 2011

I’d be interested in the music cylinder you mentioned. Drop me a line! Thanks!

9. Michele  August 4, 2011